How to Add Columns on Google Sheets
Adding columns in Google Sheets is a two-step process that requires only one click. Follow along with the instructions below to see how it’s done in your spreadsheet.
Read Also: How to Merge Cells in Google Sheets
How to Add Columns on Google Sheets On Desktop
1. Open the Google Sheets page in a new tab. In your web browser, navigate to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets. If you’re connected into your Google account, clicking here will bring up the Google Sheets dashboard.
- If you are not already connected into your Google account, you will be required to enter your email address and password when requested before you can move further.
2. Choose a spreadsheet to work with. Select the name of the spreadsheet to which you wish to add columns from the drop-down menu. The spreadsheet is opened as a result of this action.
- If you prefer to start from scratch, simply select Blank from the drop-down menu in the upper-left corner of the page.
3. Choose a column from the drop-down menu. To add a column to a column, select the letter of the column next to which you wish to add the column. For example, if you wish to add a column to the right of the “A” column, you would choose the A heading and then click the Add Column button.
4. Insert a new line of code. This button may be found in the upper-left corner of the page. There will be a drop-down menu shown.
5. Select either Column left or Column right from the drop-down menu. Both of these options are located at the top of the Insert drop-down list. This will result in the addition of a blank column to the left or right of the presently chosen column, depending on your preference.
How to Add Columns on Google Sheets On Mobile
1. Open Google Sheets in a new tab. To do so, select the Google Sheets app icon, which looks like a green and white spreadsheet grid, from the Apps menu. In the event that you’re in onto your Google account, this will access your Google Sheets dashboard.
- To sign into your Google account if you aren’t already, touch SIGN IN, pick an account, and enter your password if it is asked for it.
2. Choose a spreadsheet to work with. To access the spreadsheet to which you want to add columns in Google Sheets, tap the spreadsheet you want to open in Google Sheets.
- To create a new spreadsheet, you may alternatively tap the image labelled Android Google New.png and then press New spreadsheet to open an existing spreadsheet.
3. Choose a column from the drop-down menu. In order to pick a column (or a cell within a column) as the column next to which you wish to add a blank column, tap the letter at the top of the column (or any cell within the column).
4. To add more, press +. It may be found in the upper-right area of the screen. At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a menu with options.
5. Toggle between the columns on the left and the columns on the right. Both of these alternatives are located near the top of the drop-down list. This will result in the addition of a column to the left or right of the presently chosen column, depending on your preference.
- To do so on Android, select Insert 1 column left or Insert 1 column right from the menu bar.
- It is possible that you will have to browse down through the drop-down menu in order to locate these selections.
How do I insert a column in a column in Google Docs?
To create a new column, just select the existing text and then select the three-column picture from the Format choice that appears. Add columns to a table that has already been entered into the Google Doc by simply right-clicking or pressing Ctrl + clicking inside the table and selecting insert column left or right.