In the world of The Sims, an animal that does not belong to any Sim is referred to as a stray. Therefore, they are quite similar to townies, with the exception that they are dogs and cats. Adopting strays and bringing them into the family is a feature that is available in The Sims 4, just as it was in all of the games that came before it. Randomization is used to produce strays. On the other hand, in contrast to townies, strays cannot be contacted using the Manage Worlds feature in The Sims 4. Instead, a Sim must go out into the world and make friends with the person in question.
Are you looking for information on how to take in a stray pet in The Sims 4? In this tutorial, I’ll demonstrate multiple methods, including doing it using cheats, doing it with mods, and doing it without either cheats or mods (the vanilla way). So let’s get started:
Read Also: Stray Platinum Trophy Guide
How to Adopt a Stray in The Sims 4
First, Locating a Homeless Animal (Stray)
Only in the realm of Brindleton Bay are there any strays to be found (the one that came with the Cats & Dogs expansion). Strays are only available in this world when playing the game in its “vanilla” form; however, there are mods available that can expand their availability to other planets.
Brindleton Bay is the place to go if you want your Sim to find a stray. Alternately, if you prefer things to be as simple as possible, you might have your Sim move to the area in question so that they can have more frequent encounters with strays.
You can entice strays to come to your lot by making advantage of the “Cat Hangout” or “Dog Hangout” lot traits. This is one method. Them work in EVERY globe, thus even if you don’t want to move to Brindleton Bay, you can still meet a stray without going there if you use one of these.
Adopt a Stray (Without Cheats)
When you initially come across a stray, the first thing you should do is make friends with them. In order to adopt the stray, you first need to become friends with it.
1. Introduce your Sim to a stray dog or cat and have them get friends with it. Begin by making a friendly introduction to the animal so that you may become acquainted with it. The next step is to make an offer of friendship and keep engaging in friendly exchanges until the relationship screen displays you as friends. It’s possible that this will take a while.
2. When you click on the stray animal after you have grown acquainted with it and given it a name, you will see a new option on the pie menu. To make the stray a permanent member of your family, use the “Adopt” option.
3. You will receive a message that will ask you if you are certain that you wish to adopt a child. After you have said “OK,” you will be prompted to rename the stray and provide them with a last name, if you so want. You can have it all right now!
In The Sims 4, this is the standard method for taking in a stray pet. It is extremely simple; all that is required is a short amount of time. If you are impatient and want a stray RIGHT NOW, you can also attempt using mods and cheats (for more information, see below), or you can try one more vanilla method.
Take in a Stray Animal (With Mods)
Using a mod is yet another quick and simple approach to take in a stray animal without having to first make friends with the animal.
You may use the UI Cheats Extension mod to cheat up the relationship to friends, which will immediately make the “Adopt” option appear in the game if you are already familiar with the stray and it appears in your relationship panel. This is the procedure to follow:
1. Get the UI Cheats Extension mod and get it installed on your computer. There are a lot of tutorials available online that you may look through in order to learn how to install mods in The Sims 4. Google is a good friend to have.
2. Once you have entered the game, you should open the relationship panel for your Sim. Click the photo of the stray with the right mouse button.
3. You will see a dialogue box that asks you to set the Sim to have a Pet Relationship. Enter a score of 40 or higher to start chatting with people right now. Next, select “Run Cheat” from the menu.
4. The stray and your Sim can now be considered instant pals. If you click on them, the “Adopt” option will immediately become available to you.
You now have a total of four options to choose from when it comes to adopting strays in The Sims 4. It’s possible that there are additional options available, but in my experience, the ones I’ve listed here are the most straightforward and they all perform faultlessly. Have fun with your newly adopted stray!