Godfrey, the First Elden Lord, is one of the final bosses that the Tarnished will encounter on their path to becoming Elden Lord in FromSoftware’s most recent game, Elden Ring. The Tarnished will meet him as one of the final bosses on their quest to become Elden Lord. Following his banishment from The Lands Between by Queen Marika, he eventually takes his birth name, Hoarah Loux, and assumes the role of commander of the Tarnished throughout the long march. Godfrey has returned to Elden to reclaim his position as Elden Lord, much like the Guiding Grace guided the Tarnished back to the Lands Between following the destruction of the Elden Ring. This non-optional boss deals a lot of damage and is quite tricky to beat, but it is possible with patience and the assistance of other NPCs. In the following paragraphs, you will get an explanation of how to defeat Godfrey Elden Ring:
How to Beat Godfrey, First Elden Lord in Elden Ring
Preparing for the fight
This battle shouldn’t be too difficult to win, thank god. You don’t need to worry about using Dried Livers or any other Elemental defense against Godfrey because he solely deals Physical damage. Wear whatever armor gives you the best resistance to Physical damage, and you should be fine. Melee builds should prioritize speed over damage output and equip the weapon with the most damage in the least period. You should avoid anything that requires a lengthy buildup because the window of opportunity to strike is so tiny.
Glintstone Icecrag is one of the best options accessible to sorcerers, although any spell that can be immediately rapid-fired is good. A magical sword, like Adula’s Moonblade, could be used to deal damage to Godfrey if he gets too close. Faith constructs should bring either Rotten Breath or Ekzyke’s Decay to counter his susceptibility to Scarlet Rot. This is an excellent strategy for weakening him and shortening the duration of the battle. Godfrey is a formidable opponent for long-range builds since he is always in your face during both phases of the fight and may quickly narrow the space between you and yourself if you’re not careful.
Black Knife Tiche, who will keep an aggressive stance even when she is close to you, is the ideal Spirit Summon for this fight since she will give you plenty of time to build up your strike. Nepheli Loux and Shabriri, two NPCs, are also available for summoning to help you in combat. Verify that you have defeated the Three Fingers at the Frenzied Flame Proscription and concluded Nepheli’s questline before proceeding.
Beat Godfrey, First Elden Lord
Even though Godfrey delivers quite destructive hits, avoiding them is not too difficult once you know what to look out for. Theoretically, a shield may be used (at least in the beginning of the conflict), but blocking his axe would quickly drain your energy reserves. Learning to dodge roll will put you in the ideal position to avoid most of his attacks. The windup on many of his movements takes longer than you might imagine, making it initially difficult to grasp the timing. However, with enough practice, you will be able to.
Here are the maneuvers you should be on the lookout for in the first stage:
1. First phase (Godfrey, First Elden Lord)
1. Heave the axe. Godfrey typically uses this as his opening strike in battle. He’ll take a running leap, hurl his axe to the ground, and then fall backward to retrieve it. To escape being crushed by his crashing axe, you need duck and roll in any direction. While he’s distracted by this, you should sneak in an attack or two.
2. An axe slog. Running at you with his axe dragged behind him, he’ll yank it out of the earth and slash upwards. Don’t get caught in it.
3. Chop down. He will stab you with an axe. This attack has a more extended range than it looks like it would, and it frequently forms part of axe combos. To avoid this, swerve to the side.
4. Fissure. Overhead, Godfrey will swing his axe a few times before smashing it to the floor. Then, a few seconds later, he’ll stamp the axe even harder into the ground, causing a huge crater to appear in the arena’s floor. A second later, an area of effect (AOE) blast will erupt from the crack. As soon as he slams the axe into the ground, rolls out of the way to avoid the fissure’s damage. To prevent the next AOE, quickly move to the side. Prepare for a follow-up attack, as he will likely launch one immediately.
5. Stomp. Godfrey will stomp at you during the fight, causing rocks to protrude from the ground in a cone shape. This assault is frequently used as part of a chain with others. Don’t bother rolling out of the way of the AOE’s damage; it won’t help. When he plants his foot, you should leap. You should punish him with a leap attack if he makes this move.
6. What a stomp! About 75 percent of the way through the first phase, Godfrey will charge up a massive stomp that will reverberate throughout the arena. To escape injury, jump over the shockwave. Get in as much damage as possible during this move’s lengthy windup and recovery. After using this technique, his stomps will now generate a shockwave instead of the typical black AOE for as long as the white aura is over his head. The shockwave area of effect (AOE) from his stomps now covers the entire arena, which is both a boon and a bane; nevertheless, in contrast to his previous stomp, this one may be rolled through.
Godfrey will violently kill Serosh when he is about 50% healthy, revealing himself as Hoarah Loux, Warrior. No longer will you have to fear his axe, but instead, an arsenal of even deadlier grab strikes. These attacks can’t be blocked and might kill you in one hit, so you better be prepared.
2. Phase two (Hoarah Loux, Warrior)
1. Assault by grab. This is the standard phase two opening move for Hoarah Loux. He’ll come running towards you with arms stretched out, eventually trying to grab you. (As the conflict progresses, he may begin this maneuver by jumping at you from a distance instead of sprinting). You’ll be launched into the air and slammed to the floor if he lands a blow. To avoid being grabbed, sidestep to the side.
2. He also plans to use a second, more lethal grab strike. In this move, he’ll charge at you with his arms crossed, knocking you across the ring before smashing you back to the floor if he connects. Avoid it by slipping through at the last second.
3. Reverse choke. He’ll reach back, seize your throat, and throw you to the ground with all his weight. You should sidestep to prevent that.
4. Use your claws to attack. He’ll make two claw swipes at you, pause for a second, and then unleash a devastating flurry of seven more. If you avoid the first two swipes, the next set will come at lightning speed and be nearly impossible.
5. The Earthshaker of Hoarah Loux. He’ll let out a roar (that might knock you over but won’t hurt you), then leap into the air and charge you. Next, he’ll slam both hands into the ground, producing an area-of-effect blast and covering the earth in craters that will soon erupt. You need to avoid the area of effect and get out of the way of the craters before they explode.
6. Stomp. He’ll stomp at you, sending shards of rock flying like in the first phase. Pass over them once more. At around 25% health, he’ll use the super stomp again, only this time he’ll stomp twice. Skip right over them.
All of his attacks are very well-telegraphed. However, the timing might be challenging during both phases of the fight. Pay attention to his windup animations to predict which attack he will use, and be patient with your dodging; repeatedly pressing the roll button will result in your defeat. Keep your attacks from becoming too overwhelming, and you will quickly find victory. You’ll unlock the Axe of Godfrey or the Hoarah Loux’s Earthshaker Ash of War, 300,000 Runes and the Remembrance of Hoarah Loux if you do.
What is Godfrey the first Elden Lord weak to?
Use Lightning Incantations to defeat the boss more quickly; he takes heavy damage from this type of attack. You may easily deplete the boss’s health bar with high-damaging spells or Cerulean Hidden Tear to prevent the usage of FP, and then cast Comet Azur to deal massive damage.
Does Scarlet Rot work on Godfrey?
We recommend taking a weapon with a special ability that deals Bleed damage instead of one that increases Bleed damage with each continuous hit, as Godfrey, the First Elden Lord, has a high resistance to Scarlet Rot but a low resistance to Bleed damage.
What talisman is best against Godfrey?
Despite his golden ghostly appearance, Godfrey relies solely on physical strikes. We’ll explain why a shield is worthless in this fight below. However, the Dragoncrest Shield Talisman +1, a charm that increases resistance to physical damage, is something you should consider bringing along.
What to do after killing Godfrey?
When you’ve finished off Godfrey in his boss arena, you can head outside and continue climbing the roots to reach the upper levels. The Queen’s Bedchamber Site of Grace can be reached through the open doorway ahead. Another shardbearer awaits you in the form of Morgott, King of Omens.