We live in a time when we don’t have to spend a lot of money and time to learn a foreign language. Hours of tedious lessons can be turned into five minutes of leisure or an interesting game. In this article you will find interesting applications where you can improve your English skills.
Mobile apps for learning English
Cell phones give us a lot of opportunities. With their help we can not only communicate with our friends, but also make a lot of new acquaintances, including outside of our own country. Besides finding a foreign friend by correspondence, you can open a textbook, an instructional video or an English language app at any time: in line at the doctor, on your way to school or before going to bed. Cell phones allow us 24/7 access to the Internet or information in its memory when we need it, so it’s easy to give yourself a little lesson (not necessarily in a foreign language). So it is obvious that the importance of smartphones in our lives, and learning as well, is very difficult to overestimate.
With mobile apps for learning English, you can read, write, listen, do assignments and tests, and even speak – and you don’t have to involve a teacher or a companion to do it. Of course, you’re unlikely to get a degree in linguistics or speak at a native speaker level via your phone, but apps can be a great place to start for a beginner and a great help for those whose level is already higher. And, of course, learning with them will be more fun and engaging, so you don’t have to force yourself to sit down for exercises every time. And most importantly, they will teach you absolutely for free.
Apps for memorizing English words
It’s no secret that a huge layer of a language is its vocabulary, so without mastering it all your memorized grammar will be meaningless. For many, memorizing words is also the most difficult and dislikeable part of language learning. If that’ s your case, then the following apps will undoubtedly be useful for you.
- Easy Ten (Android, iOS). The concept of this app is to learn 10 new words every day. It may seem too easy and small, especially for beginners, but if you do it every day, you will notice how rapidly your vocabulary increases. In addition to English, you can learn a number of other languages in this app: German, Spanish, Italian, French, Korean, Japanese, etc. In order to consolidate the words you will be offered a variety of training and quizzes.
- Fun easy learn English (Android, iOS). “Fun easy learn” is a number of applications for learning different languages through games. If you are not used to cramming complicated rules and performing monotonous tasks from the textbook, then this app is perfect for you. The application has many useful features, and you can use it offline.
- Words (Android, iOS). This is one of the most popular rated apps for learning English (and not only). It is great for both beginners and someone with an advanced level. It contains a large number of tasks, drills, games that reinforce one specific skill. In addition, the topics are divided into blocks, so you can choose an interesting one for yourself. Sometimes the assignments are really hard, but in the future you will be able to do the assignments on your own without thinking who will write my essay for me . You also do not need to have access to the Internet for this application.
- Memrise (Android, iOS). This app is also notable because it gives you the opportunity to “work” with native speakers – watch interesting, informative and funny videos with them from different cities around the world. They’ll even teach you a little swearing. In addition, it also has useful games to improve your understanding of the text and speech, pronunciation, etc. You can learn without the Internet, too, if you download your course to your phone’s memory beforehand.
- ReWord (Android, iOS). This app contains a large number of different categories of words and phrases: it is the most necessary words for everyday speech, and the author’s category of those words that you have added yourself, etc. Overall, it is quite simple, but no less effective.
- Simpler (Android, iOS). This is one of the simplest apps for self-study. The grammar it presented easily and accessible, memorizing words is done through associative thinking, the consolidation of the material – through exercises and games. In addition, the application has a whole block of interesting detective stories that will help you learn the vocabulary in its “natural environment.
- EWA (Android, iOS). The app is suitable for anyone who wants to learn literary or colloquial speech. It learns through books and audiobooks, movies, situational dialogues with characters or celebrities, games, etc. It also takes into account your level of knowledge to create a customized course.
This is just a small list. In fact, there are a lot of such applications on the Internet, and if you wish, you can find the top ones made up of them. Before downloading an app, be sure to study the reviews to choose the most suitable one for you. You can download them from Google Play or the AppStore.
Podcasts and audiobooks, what are they for
Podcasts and audiobooks can also help you significantly in learning a language. If listening to audiobooks is a great way to master literary language, complicated constructions and even outdated English expressions and forms, podcasts give you the opportunity to immerse yourself in everyday monologic and dialogic speech on current affairs. Do not neglect them, because in the absence of speaking practice is the best way to achieve an excellent understanding of English.тYou can find them on YouTube, streaming music services, special apps, etc.
We hope that after reading this article you were able to choose the best option for learning English. Good luck!